“Welcome every morning with a smile. Look on the new day as another special gift from your creator, another golden opportunity to complete what you were unable to finish yesterday. Be a self-starter. Let your first hour set the theme of success and positive action that is certain to echo through your entire day. Today will never happen again. Don’t waste it with a false start or no start at all. You were not born to fail.” ~by Og Mandino

Friday, August 22, 2008

The First Blister in My Violin Life

Ouch! The first blister starts to appear on the 3rd fingertip of my left hand after playing violin for almost a week. This could be too much vibration of the strings.

Furthermore, I used to keep my finger fully down on the string everytime in order to get the string touched on the fingerboard firmly. My friend, Fikar suggested me to press the string lightly. I tried it out during my practice but the string was not touched on the fingerboard entirely and it tended to produce harsher and squeaky sound at the end. Perhaps, this is not the right way to press the string down. So I went back to the previous method and that’s how finally raised a blister on my fingertip.

I didn’t mind even though it hurt. In fact, I was even pleased because I could play a pleasant and better tune at the end. *wink*

2 comments:

frederickgam said...

Dont know about you, but in my case I dont press my fingers with that much force onto the strings. And Im still able to get the note I want...I wouldnt wanna end up with swollen fingertips like yours (*.*)

Jenjen said...

May be ur skin is rough enough to this harsh battle, kekeke~
I saw a note in our violin book - "Keep our fingers down on the string as much as possible". So, I think we should press the string a bit strongly in order to get it touch on the fingerboard.