“Welcome every morning with a smile. Look on the new day as another special gift from your creator, another golden opportunity to complete what you were unable to finish yesterday. Be a self-starter. Let your first hour set the theme of success and positive action that is certain to echo through your entire day. Today will never happen again. Don’t waste it with a false start or no start at all. You were not born to fail.” ~by Og Mandino

Saturday, August 22, 2009

My first Nikon D90, I got it!!

I have got myself a new Nikon D90 which comes with its unique AF-S DX NIKKOR 18-105mm f/3.5-5.6G ED VR lens last Saturday. I got it. I got it finally. It’s really exciting and exhilarating to me even until today. Honestly, I still a bit can’t quite believe that I’m holding my first DSLR (Digital Single-Lens Reflex camera) ever in my life. It’s with me now.


Last Saturday, I was actually going to a PIKOM PC fair with Low in Persada, Johor. Low is looking for his Canon EOS 450D while I was aiming for my Nikon D90. We hoped to get a cheaper or any impressive deal from this PC fair; at least we expected it would come with more attractive freebies than the outlets outside. We both browsed through the booths cautiously and asked the salesmen a few questions of our concern.

Sometimes, tell you the truth, I had no idea what should I ask. But still, I had to pretend to act steadily and looked more sensible, as though I had acquired quite some knowledge of DSLR. When the salesman approached me and offering his kindness, I could feel that I was getting nervous with a bit embarrassed. I’m new to the world of DSLR photography. I do know some of it as I have gone through loads of theories from the webs. But the point is, I was lacking of practical experience. Well, I couldn’t bother so much. Therefore, I threw him a few questions and kept nodding when he was explaining. This is what people always do to cover their uneasy awkwardness and so was I.

There were not many booths there this year, much lesser than the one held last year and we only spent about an hour to finish scanning through all of them. The offered DSLR package was more expensive than those given in the shops outside. Like the D90 kit, it cost RM4688 with only DSLR bag, 4GB SD card and a 2 feets height tripod while I could simply get RM4088 with loads more accessories. Huh. I wondered, normally the PC fair used to offer a cheaper range and provide more freebies to attract their customers. But, why on earth it was different this time – higher price with fewer freebies.

Ok. Fine. Since I had given up with the deal from this PC fair, I finally decided to buy the D90 from the Camera Zone in Jusco Tebrau. I browsed the D90 from that shop just about two weeks ago and when I rang up to the salesman before we moved to there, he told me the RM4088 package was still available in shop. So, without a second delay, we both quickly went there, as though the ever cheapest deal would vanish if I came late.

We popped into the shop and I bargained over the deal with the salesman again. I knew the price would not be able to less anymore as it was the lowest limit that he could offer. So I asked him to give me some other freebie besides the ones he offered. He was pretty kind to me and we both had made a great deal eventually – RM4088 for the whole D90 kit which comes along with a DSLR bag, a nice black and cool shoulder bag, 4GB Nikon SD card, 2GB Panasonic SD card, a tripod and a free DSLR photography course from 9am to 6pm. Wow. It’s honestly more worth than the one offered in the PC fair.
Thanks God. Luckily I had done some study about the price of D90, otherwise I could end up with buying a more expensive DSLR. Phew!!

No comments: