“Welcome every morning with a smile. Look on the new day as another special gift from your creator, another golden opportunity to complete what you were unable to finish yesterday. Be a self-starter. Let your first hour set the theme of success and positive action that is certain to echo through your entire day. Today will never happen again. Don’t waste it with a false start or no start at all. You were not born to fail.” ~by Og Mandino

Monday, September 20, 2010

Deep Touched

Guess who has called me up tonight? Someone who I had never expected. He-he.

Ta-da!!! She is my dearest MOTHER!! Tonight is my birthday in Chinese calendar. I thought there won’t be anyone remember or know about this except I told my hubby yesterday.

However, when I was doing my cooking in the kitchen tonight, the phone rang. I sprinted to the first floor to get my mobile phone which was vibrating on the table and glimpsed at the display. It’s my home number showed on the screen. I wondered who was calling me, some more using the fixed line. Well, because it was pretty costly.

“Hello?” I said politely.

“Ah Mee! It’s mum!” struck in my mum’s high pitch voice. Wow!! For a moment I was totally gobsmacked. This was the first time ever that my mum called me from the hometown. She had never called me in person except my dad passed the phone to her after the conversation.

“Do you know what the day today is?” she asked eagerly.

“It’s my birthday in Chinese calendar,” I replied nonchalantly. Wait! Something strange hit on my mind. I suddenly discovered that mum was particularly making this call to remind me about my important day. OH-MY-GOD!!

“Dear my girl, I thought you’re not remembering about your Chinese birthday today. That’s the reason I call you.” Every single bit of my mum’s words turned to be so sweet and touched. Tears were suddenly pricking at my eyes and I turn away, fiercely blinking them back.

Isn’t this what I’ve been hankering after ever since? This proves that my mum still LOVES and CARES about me too!!

Yes. Of course she does. She is my MOTHER and I’m her daughter. We are genuinely bonded in blood. I do not mean that my mum did not love me before, not ever. Just that... ehem... she is a bit conservative. Close-minded. A very traditional Eastern woman.

And, she is bloody frugal and over prudent person. She could save up every single penny by not making a call to me all the while. She would rather get my news from my dad or my other siblings. We only managed to talk with each other when I called her.

Anyhow, my mum breaks her record tonight. She has eventually used the fixed line to call me, which means she is no longer a meanie one. Yeah, at least she has made a good start.

2 comments:

lazy mum said...

也许这世界上,真的只有我们的爸爸妈妈才记得我们的农历生日,有一年我农历生日,竟然收到妈妈的sms,跟你一样,感动。

Jenjen said...

是啰!生我者,育我者,知我者,莫过与我们的父母也。超爱他们的!!