“Welcome every morning with a smile. Look on the new day as another special gift from your creator, another golden opportunity to complete what you were unable to finish yesterday. Be a self-starter. Let your first hour set the theme of success and positive action that is certain to echo through your entire day. Today will never happen again. Don’t waste it with a false start or no start at all. You were not born to fail.” ~by Og Mandino

Sunday, February 28, 2010

Technical or Business Aspect

Before I able to sort out this matter that kept me confused in the past, I used to look into every production issue from the technical point of view. I’m a technical person, thus, very essentially I will take everything into technical count. It’s a natural way of acting and thinking, especially when you are in your profession. So am I.

After I started to involve in more production discussion, I felt kinda lost my way. I used to be confident in my work before but then it’s kind of fluctuated. Or may be I should say, before that I didn’t have many chances to involve much in other issue except my programming. I merely had to concentrate on building up the new software or amending certain code to fulfill the user’s request. That’s all. But now, it’s all different.

I found I couldn’t get along with other people’s idea sometimes in the discussion. Once people proposed to remove or shorten the testing procedures, I would immediately deny it. Somehow, I had been getting very aggressive too as if I was protecting something valuable from stolen.

Then, this was something dashed through my mind - Wasn’t with more testing procedures enhancing the confidence in the reliability of the modules? Didn’t it have the ability to filter out the defect part? Since these could ensure a good quality product, I couldn’t understand why people wanted to reduce or even thought to remove it. It didn’t make sense. I was confused.

Some of the people started to argue on the extra job which should have to charge to which party, who should take the responsibility and so on. Oh goodness. Before I really got the confusion resolved later, I thought– Who cared? So long as the quality of the product was met, this was the most important thing that we should take into account, wasn’t it? Again, I am a typical technical person, so definitely I gave the priority to the technical concern.

However, until very recently, I’m being slowly inspired about why people would always think in that way which was completely apart from mine. They are mainly considering the matter in term of business profit margin. They count how much profit they could earn from all these. For them, money is the matter of all. They always try to find out the best way to reach a higher profit margin and therefore they are very strict on certain thing especially when it’s out of what they had agreed before.

RIGHT. I almost forgot they are the businessmen as well. This is the point. If something that couldn’t make money, what for they want to continue? Ok. I got it. By the end. So, I have to learn how the criteria to juggle between both the technical and business aspects. I honestly tell you that it would not be an easy job. Well. Again and again, I’m a technical person, so my stand point is still falling on… the technical side. Of course, there is a little difference from previous case because I would also take the business benefit into consideration this time.

No comments: